Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Habs - A Last Ten Story Pt. 1

Every ten or so games I'll be doing a review of the team in their last 10. This is the first time and we're 7-1-2 currently sitting 1st in the NHL. Of course it's early in the season and this is not a guaranteed projection of how we will do all year, but it does feel good to see many of my predicted favorites doing so well this early in the season. With that having been said I will choose to rate some of the notable hab players and the management in general.

First of all I'll start by saying I think the coaching has been very good. Last year I have to admit I was weary of the new coaching but by the playoffs a lot of those questions were answered, we went deep for the first time since our last Stanley cup and it felt good. This year I think the team is playing much more offensively and it's paying off in five on five play. Our power play really doesn't look good yet but I think when Markov comes back tonight we may just explode. I know it's a bit cliche to say but he says he's in the best shape of his career, and with the current management being so focused on that it's no wonder some of these guys look the best I've ever seen them. We may all question some of Jacques moves but can we complain about the results? Thus far and even last year, no we cannot. Now we have a team that is playing very well five on five. We have a top line that might one day be one of those dynamite lines you hear about around the league. The Heatley Spezza Alfredson line is an example I could use. So I'm not too worried about our power play and seeing the five on five play I'm seeing, there isn't much doubt in my mind we're a contender this year barring major injuries.

Second of all, I've gotta hand it to my man Price. He's been rock solid and Alex Auld last night proved why he has good stats as a backup goalie in the NHL. So lets please not forget Pierre Gauthier with the Moore move, the Halpern signing, the signing of Auld which thus far seems okay. Going back to Price though, he's been more confident, he's been better on the glove, he's been a total rock thus far and has kept us in every game aside from the New Jersey game where our team couldn't score.

This brings me to my next point. We're one top six winger away from being a dominant force in the east. Whether that winger is Benoit Pouliot, Lars Eller or somebody we trade for is yet to be seen. I believe we will find out over the course of the next twenty games though. Gomez and Gionta really need to get going. To be honest most nights I don't feel Gomez is that bad, he's setup some nice plays and Gionta and company failed to bury their chances. Gionta seems to be a step out of position on many occasions and Gomez can't hold onto the puck forever, he has usually two to three guys chasing him down by the time Gio or anyone else gets into a position to do anything. They need some serious support out there. I think it's time to experiment with Benoit Pouliot for a 5-10 game stint. He had magic with them last year and I think he can regain his confidence if the team shows him the same faith they had in Price. Young players need their team to back them in times like this and I have no doubt with our current squad Pouliot can find his game.

Tomas Plekanec A+ Best we've ever seen Plekanec, clearly capable of breaking the 80pt mark. He's a rock in terms of dependability. The guy really cares about staying in shape, he's a guy who loves the game, comes to the rink three hours early on game night. What a guy, I don't think anyone is complaining about this signing by Gauthier either, incredible deal for the habs on this one. I don't really need to say anything else about him, you all know how beastly he's been.

Andrei Kostitsyn A He's been one of the best players on the team. Even when Andrei was producing in the past we haven't seen him play this good. It's really been a thing of beauty. He's been playing like a player who can get 80+ points and even 40+ goals. I'm not saying he'll achieve it, but I think he will be consistent this year and have a career year. Something along the lines of 60+ points. This is very good news for the habs and they will likely re-sign him if he really does show he's turned a new leaf. I think he has to be honest. I don't think it's because it's a contract year, I think it's because he's on the staying in shape band wagon and now he's a part of the team, he fits in and you can see he's much happier then he's ever been. Something about his game has just been more dominant as well. He's got more confidence, he keeps his head up out there now and he's also going to the right places. Over the summer somebody taught him some things because he has just been spectacular. I really will put my reputation on the line saying this but the guys going to be a star.


Mike Cammalleri B+ He's been the most underrated hab so far this season. He's been doing all the right things, just hasn't been able to finish. Cammy has always been a very streaky player, he'll light them up one after another when he starts to and I know this because he's in all the right places doing all the right things when he's on the ice. People don't realize he had the best +/- in the NHL for a reason, he attracts a lot of attention on the ice giving guys like Kostitsyn and Plekanec a lot of space out there. It shows in his +/- and it shows in their stats. I saw many times where he was being covered leaving people wide open where we got goals. He's a vital part of that line, he cannot be switched to the Gomez and Gionta line, that line needs to figure itself out.

Alexandre Picard B He's been exceptional in more recent games. Another player who seems to do all the right things on the ice, at least lately. He made a couple nifty offensive plays down low as well that didn't translate to goals but easily could have. He's easily a #6-7 defenceman in the NHL, I wouldn't call him an AHLer. He's been a big part of our success defensively too, he plays a great all around game. Don't expect him to be Josh Gorges anytime soon but we might be able to expect a Ryan O'byrne trade shortly. The kid needs to play and this Picard guy truly appears to have stolen his spot. I don't know how many more games its going to take but I believe he will be moved.

PK Subban A First of all he's been great offensively notching 6 assists in ten games, while having numerous chances to score, posts hit, the guy is a natural offensively. I'm excited to see how he plays tonight against Florida with Markov back in the line up. That having been said this guy is the best rookie we've had since Saku Koivu, and I don't mean any disrespect to Andrei Kostitsyn he's a great player too but PK is something special. Why do I think he's something special, because I think he's already great offensively and will one day be an offensive powerhouse like Markov. Why else because I believe he will one day be one of the best defensive defenceman in the NHL as well. He plays physical, he has great speed, great acceleration. On one occasion against the Isles he robbed them from a two on one. On another play he robbed a guy from a breakaway. He's the real deal, the total package. We are insanely lucky to have gotten this kid and I think it speaks wonders about our scouting. He's a superstar and I'm not overrating him, he's that good and anyone who doesn't think so hasn't seen him play or doesn't know the sport. I'm sure there are 29 other general managers right about now who are looking to their scouting departments and shaking their heads.

Eller B- I didn't want to give him a C+ because ultimately for the line mates he's had I think he's fared pretty well. He's done a lot of good things on the ice and given that he's a young player still developing I'm going easy on him admittedly. But if by the next 10 games I don't see more of those good things and some stats to go with we can talk about it then.

Halpern A He's really been consistently good for us. I can see why some fans were disappointed their team didn't sign him. He's been our best face off guy, a good PKer to relieve Plek from full PK duty. He really makes our bottom 6 and PK a lot better and I have to give him credit where it's due he's been great offensively so far too. He's just what we needed and he's exceeding my expectations currently.

Moen B He's been actually pretty good so far this season. He's fought, he's put the puck in the net, he's been pretty reliable I think now that he's in his groove. I hope to see him drop the gloves a lot more this season and hopefully score a couple more goals here and there. What I like about Moen and Halpern is they seem to be very clutch at times. They're the kind of guys who are unsung heroes in the NHL, they do the right things at the right times sometimes and you end up winning a game or two because of them now and then. But in reality you're winning games because of them all the time because they bring something to this team it's been seriously lacking.

Price A He's been a rock keeping us in games, getting a shutout, making the spectacular saves we all saw him make even last season but more often before. He's really playing great and I hope he keeps it up. Enough with the Halak and Price comparisons. Both are great goalies, both have great futures in the NHL, the habs made the right move. Price brings more value to the table if he continues playing like this or better. Halak would have cost 4 million and Price is the type of goalie who can steal games too. As long as Price is still a good goalie whether Halak is better or worse isn't really relevant as long as we're winning games. St. Louis is St. Louis and Montreal is Montreal. There's no telling how well Price would be doing right now if he were in St. Louis and the tables were turned, the comparison simply isn't fair and especially with how well Price has played I think the argument needs to be put to rest. Price is our goalie now so support him.

Gomez C+ I don't feel he's been as bad as people say. Some nights better than others though I'll admit, but honestly he has nobody to pass to and he's a pure passer, what did people honestly expect would happen? He can't play by himself. Once he has steady line mates for 10 games I'll put more emphasis on his stats. So far he's the same old Gomez, he just hasn't been able to get any points because one of his line mates is always a 4th liner and the other is having a really bad start, not being positioned well etc. Personally I just find it hard to blame the guy whose a pure playmaker when it's not like his line mates are scoring.

Gionta D+ I think he's been terrible thus far. Missing many chances, also been robbed too to be fair, but he's not in the right places ever. Part of it isn't his fault, because his other winger is usually a forth liner he and Gomez are repeatedly double covered. The other teams just make the line obsolete right now. The book is out, Gomez and Gio have nobody to pass to. This is why I want the Pouliot experiment to begin again. The kid can shoot so put him on a line with people who will not only benefit from his presence but help him get some goals.  I do blame Gio more than Gomez though because in reality he's the shooter and he just hasn't been in the right places, he makes Gomez have to hold onto the puck for too long.

Pouliot B- Considering the lines he's been on most of the time, he's at least gotten a couple goals, he's been a hitting machine, playing more physical. Sometimes he makes dumb decisions but he is a young player and we all know what he's capable of. It's all mental with him, he needs to get his confidence back up. I think if Jacques shows a little confidence in him and gives him a 3-5 game stint on the Gomez line he'll find his game and be able to earn the right to stay there. I don't question Jacques decisions though I just give my input, if he thinks Benny isn't ready then in my opinion he isn't.

Lapierre B- He's been alright. Haven't seen him on the scoreboard much but he isn't at all known for that. When he plays at a high level of intensity he's a real treat to watch. As always he plays get under your skin type of game and he's one of the best at doing it. Gomez said it himself, he despised Lapierre before coming here and he didn't even know his name he just knew that he hated him. I think that's pretty funny. Like Halpern and Moen he's just one of those guys you need to have one of on your team. Right now the Canadiens organization is trying to build the perfect team having assets in all areas, when you do that you can beat any team.

Spacek D- I hate to jump on the bandwagon but he's been terrible. I think he's out of shape to be honest. Hopefully at the 20 game mark I have some good things to say about him. He's made a couple nice passes here and there, has maybe once a game won a battle for the puck. He's really not looking great out there, a lot of the time when a goal happens he seems to be there. Somehow though he's a positive plus minus so I'm guessing he's been carried on a couple of goals. He has two assists this year, for a guy that I expected to be a complimentary offensive player, I'm pretty disappointed. In his defense when I've seen him on the left point he's been alright, but it's rare that I see it.

I've gone and written a novel so I won't review any other players thus far, but that's my assessment this far in, we're going great.

No comments:

Post a Comment